Saturday 2 May 2009

Rhubarb and raspberry jam

When I was wondering, a few weeks ago, whether to make rhubarb jam someone on the Yahoo Kitchen gardening list suggested making rhubarb and raspberry jam if I still had raspberries in my freezer. I do still have raspberries in my freezer and I'm always on the look out for ways to use raspberries because we have so many of them. So yesterday I picked another pound of rhubarb and retrieved 8 oz of raspberries from the bottom of my chest freezer. Today I converted them into a delicious, almost neon red coloured jam.

I am quickly warming towards rhubarb. It has an appetising citrus smell when chopped and I can understand why raspberries are suggested as a combination with it because there is a similarity in the flavours. Rhubarb is quick to cook and cooperatively sets into jam. And the end result is good too. Rhubarb and raspberry jam has an interesting flavour that I have been trying to describe all day. Sweet and sour, maybe, fruity, certainly. I'm beginning to think I might have to start growing the stuff!

Rhubarb & Raspberry Jam
(makes about 1 lb 8 oz)

1lb (454g) rhubarb
8 oz (225g) frozen raspberries
1 lemon, rind and juice
1lb 8 oz sugar

Chop the rhubarb into inch long sections. Gently heat the raspberries in a pan until they break up. Push the raspberry puree through a sieve to remove the seeds. Mix all the ingredients together in an non-metallic bowl, cover and leave to stand overnight. Decant the mixture into a preserving pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar, and cook until the rhubarb is pulpy. Bring to a vigorous boil until the setting point is reached. Ladle into warmed jars and seal immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment