Wednesday 16 March 2011

Red Nose Day


I'm spending the day at my youngest's daughter's school tomorrow & Friday making "Fruity Face" biscuits for Red Nose Day. I did the same thing two years ago for the last Comic Relief and volunteered to organise it all again this time.

I sometimes wonder why I do these things. Sorting out a simple recipe and testing it is one thing but scaling it up to make 220 of them over two days with children between the ages of 3 and 7 is another. It involves meetings, letter writing, spreadsheets, budgeting, delegation, people skills, teaching skills... shall I go on?

So far this week I have worked out how much stuff I needed to buy, collected and counted a vast quantity of 50p donations, been out to buy the ingredients, organised my team of volunteer helpers, tweeked the timetable with the deputy head and cooked a test batch to remind myself of what equipment we'll need and any possible pitfalls to highlight in advance.

Phew... no wonder I'm feeling tired. 180 biscuits to cooked tomorrow... expecting to feel tired tomorrow night too... and Friday night as well.

Still, this time next week I'll have a rosy view of the whole thing and be pleased to have done it and who know, in two years time I might do it all again despite several times today saying this would be my last time !

Fruit Face Biscuits (makes 6)

4 oz (110g) self-raising flour
2 oz (55g) margarine or butter
2 oz (55g) caster sugar
A few drops vanilla extract
1 fl oz (2 tablespoons) milk
3 glace cherries
12 raisins
2 dried apricots

Preheat oven to 190°C, gas 5 and grease a baking tray. Sift the flour into a bowl then rub in the fat until it feels like breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar then add the vanilla extract to the milk and use it to bind the mix into a soft dough. Divide the dough into six balls. Roll each ball in your hands then flatten onto the baking tray. Press two raisins into the biscuit to form eyes, half a glace cherry for a nose and a thin slice of dried apricot for the mouth. Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment