Tuesday 6 March 2012

Happy New Year!

The other day I was listening to the radio when they reported that that day was the new year for some part of the world (I forget where, but it's not important). I smiled and thought what a weird day to choose for the new year. But then I thought a bit more about it and realised that there is no particular set way to work out when one year should end and another begin. It is after all a complete cycle with no end or beginning and that as long as your year has 365.25 days in it (in one way or another) then it is fine. So why, indeed, do we change our year on 31st December? What's the significance of that day? It's not even as if it is the shortest day. It is surprising really that with the ancient people were so reliant on the changing seasons that we don't have some historically set new years day that is linked more with the seasons.

This weekend I went around to the allotment for a spot of light weeding. With the sun shining and the first signs of spring all around, quite a few other allotment holders had come out that day too. I stopped to chat with one fellow allotment holder and she said, "Here we are then about to begin again." And then it struck me that now is the new year. Back home, the first tomato seedling had germinated on my window sill. See, nature knows best. So, I would just like to wish everyone a happy new year and hope that you have a productive and fruitful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment