Wednesday 4 February 2009

SOS - save our shallots day 3

So today was the third day of my quest to make use of my shallots before they begin to sprout. Today I thought I'd try making onion marmalade. This recipe is most commonly made with red onions because of their sweet flavour. As shallots are also sweet I figured they would make a fine substitution. Quite why it should be called marmalade is beyond me as it bears no resemblance to what is traditionally called marmalade and should perhaps rather be called onion chutney. I do not recommend spreading it on your toast in the morning whilst supping tea but rather I suggest eating it with a strong cheese and a fine red wine.

Onion Marmalade (make about 3/4 of a pound)

3 large red onions (or 12-16 shallots)
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 fl oz (150ml) red wine
4 fl oz (110ml) red wine vinegar
2 fl oz (55ml) balsamic vinegar
3 oz (85g) dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
Salt & pepper

Peel and finely chop the onions then fry them in a large saucepan in the oil for 10 minutes until golden. Add all the other ingredients and bring to the boil then simmer for half an hour until the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Ladle into warmed jars and seal immediately.

Job done and now I have just enough shallots left to use in my everyday cooking between now and the end of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment