Saturday 7 November 2009

Pumpkin for breakfast!

Another week and still I'm working my way steadily through the pumpkins. Having neglected to buy pancakes from the supermarket I decided to offer my girls pumpkin pancakes for breakfast. This was met with enthusiasm! As it happened, I had frozen the last batch I had made and I quickly discovered that two pancakes sandwiched between two plates needed only 1 minute in the microwave to reheat them from frozen. Then a light scattering of sugar and a squirt of cream before putting them on the table - a quick and easy breakfast that looked like it took a great deal of effort. Having watched a TV programme last week that discussed the nutritional horrors of the average breakfast cereal, this breakfast compares quite favourably even though it feels like an indulgent treat.

I had 9 oz of pureed steamed pumpkin left over from the Halloween lanterns so early this week I used that up making pumpkin drop scones. I imagined my husband tucking into them after dinner, maybe sandwiching two together with a lick of butter and a splodge of jam but as it turned out he grabbed a couple on his way out of the door the next morning as he rushed off to a meeting. Who would have thought we'd be eating pumpkin for breakfast!

Pumpkin drop scones (makes 12-16)

9 oz (250g) pumpkin puree
1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
7 oz (200g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 fl oz (55ml) condensed milk
3 oz (85g) sultanas (optional)

Preheat oven to 200°C, gas 6 and grease a large baking sheet. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend together. Dollop spoonfuls onto the baking sheet then bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Use a palette knife to remove them from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Can be eaten plain, with butter, jam or cream and can also be toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment